Top 10 tips for PTE reading
- Concentrate on parts of speech before and after the blank in fill in the blanks section, it helps in finding the omitted word. Select the word, which collocates with words beside it.
- Read the question before you read the text. This will tell you what information you will be reading for. Reading question keeps you focused about the information you are looking for in the passage.
- Always scan the answer choices to further help you focus on the information you will be reading for.
- Skim the text to get information of its main idea and general content. You should know the answer that what is this passage about. Learn skimming the whole passage. The benefit of this technique in this exam is that the passages are small and you need to answer in a time frame. Most of the time, missing word synonym will be in the text, it helps in finding answer.
- Read the question and the answer options again. Select the correct answer if you know it. If you are not sure about the correct answer, eliminate any options that are apparently incorrect. Choose from remaining options.
- If you do not know the answer, and are unable to eliminate any options, guess. Never leave the question unanswered. If you leave the question unanswered, it will be marked as incorrect. By guessing, you have the possibility of answering correctly.
- In every question, look for the keywords. Look for answers to the question based on the keywords. Method of elimination holds good for answering multiple choice questions. Focus on keywords in question and search in the text and then look in options. Most of the time, Pay close attention to the frequency words (always, sometimes, often, never many, all, never, only) eliminate those options and find the correct answer.
- Remember to trust your gut feelings. If you feel a word fits a blank over the other choices, then go with it. Start fine tuning your instincts. With practice, you will be able to do it correctly.
- While re-ordering the passage, the student has to understand the overall idea of the passage. After arranging, re-read the answer passage to check for the proper flow of the passage. Look at common nouns, proper nouns, Articles Usage-Time Phrases order to form the sentences. Frame the order of sentences using the Nouns, Pronouns, Adjectives, Repeated words, Time phrases, etc. Concentrate on pronouns like he, she, him, her, they, them, these, those, etc. These sentences will never come in first.
- Evaluate the response options. The response options may be words, phrases or sentences. Use your own knowledge to decide whether any of them are incorrect, or correct. You can do this before you read the text. This strategy also applies to multiple-choice questions with more than one answer.
LinguaSoft EduTech Private Limited has developed its own Online PTE Course to help students score high in the PTE test. There are 48 live PTE tests (12 of each module). Interested candidates can register and enjoy one demo test absolutely free.